Skip to main content

Spring Isn't a Myth

A couple of months ago, I wrote a post titled "My Love Affair with Winter."  Perhaps you read it, but if not check it out at some point.  It was my first post, and I think it was pretty good (if I do say so myself).  Anywho, in that post I used winter as a metaphor for the challenging times that we all face at some point or other our lives.  In this post, I want to reflect on something that you don't think will ever come when in the depths of winter....spring.

Recently I was listening to my all-time favorite album, "The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill," and even though I've heard EVERY song about a gazillion times, one lyric in particular resonated with me on this particular day.  On the track, "Everything is Everything," L-Boogie spits out encouragement to listeners by simply saying, "after winter MUST come spring, change it comes eventually."  Wow! Did you take that in?  I mean, did you really let it seep deep down in your spirit?  You see, this is so much more than an artist putting pen to paper and coming up with a catchy line.  This is TRUTH! For those who are hopeless, in despair, lost, confused or just plain helpless, this line is a lifeline and proof that spring is not a myth.

Many times when we're going through hard times in our life, we feel alone and wonder when change will come.  It can be extremely frustrating to find yourself in a pattern of one step forward, two steps back and seemingly going nowhere.  But (you know there's always a but), we can rest assured in the knowledge that situations do change, people do change and what you are facing today will be a distant memory one day.  At the end of the day, we have to pull up our big girl (or big guy:-) Underoos and keep advancing.  I promise you there IS greater on the other side.  I promise you that sooner than you can think or believe, you will be basking in the rays of a beautiful sunshine.  Do you believe that your spring is on the way? I do!

Peace & Blessings
(**Subscribe to my blog so you never miss a post!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Queens Wear More Than Crowns

“I am deliberate and afraid of nothing.” ~Audre Lorde Recently someone on my Instagram timeline shared this quote by Audre Lorde, and I couldn't help but feel empowered. To be intentional about everything and fearless is the epitome of #BlackGirlMagic, right?  Yet, as much as I wanted to snap a screenshot and make this post my newest wallpaper something inside of me wouldn’t allow me to fully embrace such a bold statement.  Why not?  Am I not a queen?  I believe that I am.  I claim that I am when I’m belting out a Beyonce, Rihanna or Jill Scott song in my car.  Yet, I am also very much aware that queens often times wear more than crowns. Queens, like me, are in fact fearful when it comes to the assurance of knowing that our Black men and boys will live out the days of their lives.  Queens, like me, only breathe a little more easier when our sons text at the end of the day just to say, “Mom, I’m home.” Queens, like me, know that love...black love...is put to the test