Skip to main content

The Faces of Facebook

I must admit I've spent way too much time on Facebook this summer.  Confession...I have a Facebook tab up right now as I type this post.  It's not like it's a crime or anything, but IMO it is a total time sucker-upper (if there is such a word).  What is it about scrolling through your news feed, liking posts, watching videos and reading your friends' vent sessions that keeps us coming back each and every day, hour on the hour, minute by minute?  Why is it so addicting?

I don't have a beef with social media.  Really I don't.  I use it, and I know it's what we do now.  It's cool!  But, part of me despises it for the hidden competition that it initiates.  You know...the #mylifeisbetterthanyours type of competition.  I call this the "Faces of Facebook."  I mean it's all really a facade, right?  We only see a snapshot of what our peeps want us to see, but this quick view can cause you to feel some kinda way...if you let it.  Let's be honest, social media is often our measuring stick for success or failure...if you let it.

Social media often presents a skewed version of the world in which we live, where everyone is a) uber involved in politics, b) working out 24/7 while you binge watch "Power" and "Orange is the New Black," c) demonstrating ahhhh-mazing parenting skills while you struggle to "keep calm and get 'em to every activity under the sun on time" or d) traveling the world while you get pumped to go to Costco to get cheap gas.  Nah, I'm not hatin' just sharing my observations :-).

The thing is...I think that in life we need balance and that even means stepping away from social media every once in awhile to just....be.  Sometimes where we're striving to go or what we're trying to accomplish can become cloudy when we find ourselves trying to measure up to the "faces" we see in our news feed.

So, go ahead log out even if just for 24 hours!  You can do it!  Don't worry, when you come back your "friends" will still be eatin' at cool places and turnin' up for so and so's birthday :-)  And while you're unplugged, you just might find everything in focus again.

Peace and Blessings!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Queens Wear More Than Crowns

“I am deliberate and afraid of nothing.” ~Audre Lorde Recently someone on my Instagram timeline shared this quote by Audre Lorde, and I couldn't help but feel empowered. To be intentional about everything and fearless is the epitome of #BlackGirlMagic, right?  Yet, as much as I wanted to snap a screenshot and make this post my newest wallpaper something inside of me wouldn’t allow me to fully embrace such a bold statement.  Why not?  Am I not a queen?  I believe that I am.  I claim that I am when I’m belting out a Beyonce, Rihanna or Jill Scott song in my car.  Yet, I am also very much aware that queens often times wear more than crowns. Queens, like me, are in fact fearful when it comes to the assurance of knowing that our Black men and boys will live out the days of their lives.  Queens, like me, only breathe a little more easier when our sons text at the end of the day just to say, “Mom, I’m home.” Queens, like me, know that love...black love...is put to the test