Skip to main content

Queens Wear More Than Crowns




“I am deliberate and afraid of nothing.” ~Audre Lorde

Recently someone on my Instagram timeline shared this quote by Audre Lorde, and I couldn't help but feel empowered. To be intentional about everything and fearless is the epitome of #BlackGirlMagic, right?  Yet, as much as I wanted to snap a screenshot and make this post my newest wallpaper something inside of me wouldn’t allow me to fully embrace such a bold statement.  Why not?  Am I not a queen?  I believe that I am.  I claim that I am when I’m belting out a Beyonce, Rihanna or Jill Scott song in my car.  Yet, I am also very much aware that queens often times wear more than crowns.

Queens, like me, are in fact fearful when it comes to the assurance of knowing that our Black men and boys will live out the days of their lives.  Queens, like me, only breathe a little more easier when our sons text at the end of the day just to say, “Mom, I’m home.” Queens, like me, know that love...black love...is put to the test daily, especially when the men we love are not affirmed by the world in which we live.  While we are not quivering in the shadows expecting bad things to happen, we recognize that, sometimes, despite our hopes, dreams and convictions, bad things do happen.  But, does that justify living a life in fear?

You see...queens recognize that indeed the struggle is real, but the only option is to keep pushing, keep striving, keep grinding for this is what will bring us peace.  We lean back on the shoulders of our ancestors, and we reflect on the strength and courage it takes to make it in this world.  So, what is a queen..a Black queen to do surrounded by all this greatness juxtaposed by the realities of a world that sometimes refuses to acknowledge our presence?

We should wake up each day and speak such bold affirmations as the one shared by Ms. Lorde.  We don’t have to be perfect to strive for perfection.  Each day we can set out to be deliberate.  Set goals. Set intentions. Know the why for everything you say and do.  Be bold.  Be humble.  Be your best self.  Acknowledge your fears, but don’t dwell in that place.  There’s no room for all your #BlackGirlMagic in that place.  

This is one of the best times to be alive.  While the world would try to have us believe that it is the time to be afraid, we must reject that belief for it is simply not true.  To be afraid is to believe that you have no power, but I submit that we have more than enough power.  We are standing on the shoulders of powerful giants who have kicked down doors and shattered ceilings for us.  So, stand up straight as if you are the newest recruit for Dora Milaje assigned to protect your own personal Black Panther, pick out your ‘frohawk and place your crown on your head.  You are deliberate and you are afraid of nothing! 

Peace & Blessings!







Comments