Skip to main content

Hello? Have you seen my child?

Something happened and I'm not exactly sure when it occurred and why I didn't notice it.  It didn't just happen to me, but to my husband as well.  No one gave us a heads up, posted a warning sign on our front door or whispered the words "new traffic pattern ahead."  Nope, we didn't see this coming at all!  And so I'm sure you're asking what didn't we see?  What caught us totally off guard?  One of our three children has become.......has become....a TEENAGER!!!!!  

It seems like only yesterday that we were "oohhing" and "ahhing" over our first baby.  Back then I thought my biggest challenge was nursing and getting him to sleep through the night. I had absolutely no idea that the teen years would be, what I jokingly refer to as "my graying years."  Pause right now.  Stop reading and go thank your mother that you are still alive :-). Seriously!  While I do remember my aunts and older family members (who were empty nesters at the time) sharing their wisdom with me at our baby showers, I guess it never really sunk in.  I was too busy basking in the glow of my first child.  My sweet, baby boy.

I really don't know where the time goes.  It's like you wake up one day and your babies are almost eye to eye with you.  They start testing the boundaries and your patience, too.  Right now, my son is:

a)  working my last nerve
b) wanting to be grown but still so ridiculously goofy 
c) challenging his father's role (i.e. Dad, you don't mind if I sit at the head of the table, do ya?)
d) making comments that make me ask, "who are you and where is my child?"
e) all of the above

If you chose "e," then you are correct.  Everyday brings a new set of challenges and has certainly caused my husband and I to reflect on our parenting.  Our motto...we may be outnumbered, but the kids will not take us out!  My mind knows it's just a phase and soon enough I'll be just like my aunts and telling "remember when" stories, but for now I just want to know have you seen my child...my sweet, baby boy?

Comments

  1. He's hidden under that "teen-itude" right now. He'll resurface when he's married with children :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure he is with your niece Kianna, they took the same train to teen-land. But it's all good, sure we will find them shortly. Great blog!! Love you girl.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment