Skip to main content

Who you callin' old? Not me!

So, I'm driving along in the car with my permanent passengers (aka my children), and we're having a battle of the radio stations.  I'm sure you can relate to these battles well if you think back to when you were a pre-teen/teen.  Your parent wanted to listen to the sweet sounds of the Stylistics, and you want to hear the latest hit by Biggie. There was a tug-o-war over the radio stations, and somehow your parents always seemed to prevail.  Mind you this was before everyone was all plugged into their own iPod, iPhone, iSomething.

Well, fast forward to 2015, and I find myself in the same situation only I'm the parent this time around.  For the most part, I won't 'stand my ground' and refuse to share the radio, but when my jam is on the radio, I do expect you to kindly remove your fingers from the dial.  This brings me to last night.

My family and I watched the 2015 BET Awards last night.  I'm a lover of music, so I can appreciate artistic expression.  Some of the new school artists can definitely get a crowd hype and have you bobbin' your head to the groove, but they seem to be missing something (imo).  However, the highlight of my night was the tribute to Bad Boy Records.  As soon as I heard all the songs that defined my late teens/twenties, I was couldn't help myself!  I started singing and groovin', and it was like I was 21 again.  Talk about the power of music!

My kids have witnessed these moments before, but it bothers me that it's always followed by comments like "Stop, Mom," "No, that's not how we do it," or "Really, Mom?"  What do you mean by "really, Mom?"  As if I can't break.it.down.  Which led me to ask myself when I became old? When did I become my mom in this scenario?  Aren't I still cool?  Is it even cool to ask am I cool? How come when I whip or Nae Nae they laugh?  Don't ya'll know I used to throw down on the dance floor (ok, not really but I had moves...lol)?

I'm slowly coming up on that 40-year old mark, but in my mind I'm still 21, honey!  Life is funny.  It really is so cyclical, but by the time you realize that what you once laughed at or rejected is now what you have become, it really, really catches you off guard.  My kids may fall over in fits of laughter as I belt out Mary J's "Real Love" or snicker as I break out in the wop or cabbage patch when the urge hits me but so what?  They may be calling me old, but what I've learned is that with maturity comes confidence.  I'm gonna be true to me and you be true to you!

Peace & Love

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Queens Wear More Than Crowns

“I am deliberate and afraid of nothing.” ~Audre Lorde Recently someone on my Instagram timeline shared this quote by Audre Lorde, and I couldn't help but feel empowered. To be intentional about everything and fearless is the epitome of #BlackGirlMagic, right?  Yet, as much as I wanted to snap a screenshot and make this post my newest wallpaper something inside of me wouldn’t allow me to fully embrace such a bold statement.  Why not?  Am I not a queen?  I believe that I am.  I claim that I am when I’m belting out a Beyonce, Rihanna or Jill Scott song in my car.  Yet, I am also very much aware that queens often times wear more than crowns. Queens, like me, are in fact fearful when it comes to the assurance of knowing that our Black men and boys will live out the days of their lives.  Queens, like me, only breathe a little more easier when our sons text at the end of the day just to say, “Mom, I’m home.” Queens, like me, know that love...black love...is put to the test