Skip to main content

Peace on the Pavement





Last May, I purchased my first pair of running shoes.  I went to an actual running store to be properly fitted, and I determined right then and there that would start running.  Just to give you a little background...I'm not what you would call athletic in the least.  I didn't participate in sports while growing up, and quite frankly I really didn't even like going outdoors.  Who wants to sweat when you can be inside reading a good book?  Well, these wonderful running shoes probably sat on my shoe rack for a good five months.  Occasionally, I would take them out for a "spin,", but for the most part they were just another item added to my list of fitness gear...until my 39th birthday, that is.

It's funny how being on the precipice of a new decade in life changes your perspective.  So, last year when I turned 39, I decided that this would be the year that I finally got myself together.  Like for real this time.  No joking.  No excuses.  I mean my kids are 15, 12, and 9...can I really still blame all this weight and my unhealthful ways on "just having had a baby?"  Nope.  So, I hooked up with accountability partners aka my cousins and sorors and began "Operation Fit for 40."

Over the years, I've accumulated tons of workout dvds and while these were initial my go-to workouts when I first started on the journey, I quickly became bored and needed a bit more variety.  For the last two years or so, I have faithfully stalked* the Black Girls Run DC FaceBook page without actually doing anything related to running...until last fall.  In November, I took the risk and decided to show up to a group run.  Ah yes...finally my running shoes would see some action!  Well, I got out there and did a little wogging (walking + jogging), but I was slow as molasses.  Seriously.  Did I mention how much I despised running the mile in my high school P.E. class?  What in the world was I doing out here trying to "run?"  But, the women were encouraging, and so I decided to keep showing up for these runs.  Long story short, nowadays I'm a long way from where I started, but I also found something I wasn't even expecting.

See, the last few years have been tough...emotionally, financially, spiritually...name any -ly and that's where I was.  Often times, you don't have control over the circumstances you face in life.  Stuff happens.  But, what do you do after you've prayed (or tried to pray...because sometimes that's even hard to do) or tried to come up with your Plan B, Plan C or Plan D?  For me, I found running to be cathartic.  It became my release over EVERYTHING that I could not control.  It became my time to clear my mind, refocus, and reflect.  I found peace on the pavement.  When hell is breaking out all around you, you have to find that thing that brings you peace, and for me it is running.  Even as I type these words, I can't believe that I actually enjoy running.  Me?  The girl who never, ever, ever ran more than a mile is now training for a 10-miler and half marathon?  Me?  Who is this chick?  I'm that chick with no limits!  I can do ALL things through Christ who gives me strength and so can you!  Find your peace, hold on to it and you, too, might be surprised.

Peace and Blessings!

*Stalk in this sense means liking all the pics and comments, cheering the ladies on from the comfort of my couch and secretly wishing I could do what they do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Queens Wear More Than Crowns

“I am deliberate and afraid of nothing.” ~Audre Lorde Recently someone on my Instagram timeline shared this quote by Audre Lorde, and I couldn't help but feel empowered. To be intentional about everything and fearless is the epitome of #BlackGirlMagic, right?  Yet, as much as I wanted to snap a screenshot and make this post my newest wallpaper something inside of me wouldn’t allow me to fully embrace such a bold statement.  Why not?  Am I not a queen?  I believe that I am.  I claim that I am when I’m belting out a Beyonce, Rihanna or Jill Scott song in my car.  Yet, I am also very much aware that queens often times wear more than crowns. Queens, like me, are in fact fearful when it comes to the assurance of knowing that our Black men and boys will live out the days of their lives.  Queens, like me, only breathe a little more easier when our sons text at the end of the day just to say, “Mom, I’m home.” Queens, like me, know that love...black love...is put to the test